LATE BREAKING MIL THEORY POST!
Two items both intriguing for regular readers.
First, John Robb’s new book Brave New War: The Next Stage of Terrorism and the End of Globalization is available online. Congratulations John, I look forward to reading it soon. ( hat tip Shloky)
Secondly, Uncle Sam wants YOU….to write papers on 4GW warfare and SyS Admin intervention !
Warfare in the Age of Non-State Actors:
Implications for the U.S. Army
11-13 September, 2007
Fort Leavenworth Frontier Conference Center
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
Organizers: The United States Army Combat Studies Institute,
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Combat Studies Institute will host
a symposium entitled “Warfare in the Age of Non-State Actors:
Implications for the U.S. Army.” The symposium will include
a mixture of guest speakers, panel sessions, and general
This conference will explore the impact of conflict between
nations and non-state combatants within a historical context.
The conference will examine current issues, dilemmas, problems,
trends, and practices associated with conflict between
constituted nations and trans-national, religious, ethnic or
Proposed Program: CSI will issue a Call for Papers in October
2006. While the symposium program is tentative and flexible,
CSI expects it to include the following panels and topics:
– Non-State Actors and their impact on strategic communications
and Information Operations.
– Law of War and Military Doctrine dealing with Non-State Actors.
– The military’s role in conflict termination and securing the
political end state especially if one or more combatants is a
Non-State Actor (e.g. Hezbollah, IRA, FARC, FMLN, al Qaeda).
– The armed forces as part of the interagency process.
– Military operations with International Government Organizations
and Non-Governmental Organizations.
– Tactics of militaries and rogue organizations or Non-State
Actors on the battlefield.
– The military and cultural awareness.
– The role of technology in empowering and combating Non-State
– Impact of Non-State Actors on Global economics and Non-State
For more information on the symposium, please contact CSI at
913-684-2139 or email: CSIconference07@leavenworth.army.mil
Ricardo A. Herrera, Ph.D.
U.S. Army Combat Studies Institute
201 Sedgwick Ave
Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027
O: (913) 684-2126
F: (913) 684-4861